Saturday, July 11, 2009

To Market, To Market

So today was the Farmers Market. A little slow at first, but it picked up towards the end. Here's what I made, with short descriptions and links to the recipes:


Every week I make something gluten-free. It's surprising (and really gratifying) to see how many people with wheat allergies are able to enjoy things they don't usually get to indulge in. This is a basic chocolate cake, with cherry pie filling mixed into the batter, marshmallow creme on top, and a few chocolate jimmies for the finishing touch. I didn't have gluten-free flour mix, so I used equal parts brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca flour--for this recipe, that's about 2/3 cup of each flour.


The original recipe for these cupcakes calls for cranberry juice and fresh cranberries, but I substituted orange juice for the cranberry juice and dried cranberries for the fresh. The recipe is also written for standard-size cupcakes, but it made the right amount of batter for six jumbo cupcakes, which I baked for about 25 minutes. I used a cream cheese frosting with gold sanding sugar on top, followed by a molded white/milk chocolate swirl shell. These were a top seller!


Lemon Angel Food Cupcakes


Light-as-air angel food cake with a touch of lemon zest just to change things up a bit. I used a simple powdered sugar glaze with fresh strawberries on top of the cupcakes.

Dark Chocolate Muffins


Another great recipe from Baking Bites, these muffins get a double dose of dark chocolate: some melted and stirred into the batter, and some in the form of dark chocolate chips. They came out with beautiful domed tops due to a large dose of baking powder.

I also make something naturally sweetened every week. These granola bars were good, but I had to add quite a bit more honey than the recipe calls for in order to make the dough stick together enough to shape them.

Ginger-Orange Scones


For some reason, scones are incredibly popular at the Farmers Market. To make these, I added chopped crystallized ginger and orange zest to a recipe for Coffeehouse Scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment